Review : Coast to Coast (Stevenage)



coast to coast
(Stevenage, HERTFORDSHIRE)
Star Rating:  Food : 3.5 Stars  Service : 4 Stars

Hygiene Rating: 5




Date of visit: 18 November 2012


For a couple of months now I have been following the Tweets of Ocean to Ocean based in Stevenage Leisure Park. They recently opened their doors and I have been trying to convince my husband to take me there.  They are an  American Style diner and when I looked on-line I loved the look of their menu.  The only sticking point was their prices, a couple of pounds more expensive then Frankie's & Bennies who are right next door to them and serve a similar style of food.  We went to the Stevenage Leisure Park on Sunday to see Skyfall and afterwards my husband surprised me and said we needed to eat so why not try Coast to Coast as I had dropped enough hints.  The outside looks very welcoming and the décor is delightful, typically what you would expect from an American dinner. The original US memorabilia showcased on the walls, provides a genuine talking point.  The music they play is an electric mix of Motown and American Rock. We were greeted at the door and shown to a table straight away.  

Our waitress was friendly and welcoming, not too overboard.  We were made to feel at home from the start.  Our drinks orders where taken, three large pints of Diet Coke.  This is when the excitement of the afternoon started, the poor assistant waitress who delivered our drinks, looked a bit unsure of herself when carrying the tray and the next thing poor Danielle was completely drenched as one of the drinks landed on her.  Her face was priceless, a look of slow motion shock, David and I were more worried about her mobile then our poor child.  The waitress was also in a state of shock, and all apologetic.  These things happen and the staff and management all rallied around us and Danielle to sort things out.  We moved to another table and returned to enjoying our lunch.  The manager then said that our meal was on the house.  

David ordered a medium 8oz Casterbridge steak for £21.95 a lean rump (scary price for a tiny piece of meat) .  It was cooked to perfection, according to their menu it is the best steak they do. It’s a 28 day, dry aged steak from the West Country.  Served with fresh rocket, roasted tomatoes on the vine, home-made coleslaw and your choice of straw fries or sweet potato chips. He did enjoy it but did state that should he have paid for it he would have felt cheated as it was not a lot for the price. 





 I ordered a Black & Blue Burger for £11.95.  A Cajun spiced burger glazed with melted blue cheese, topped with rocket, mayonnaise, fresh tomato, dill pickle, battered onion rings and blue cheese dressing.  It was a lovely tasting burger, much better then the disaster that I had the week before at John Gilpin.  Although to date my best burger ever is the one I had a Loch Fyne in Hertford. 



Danielle had a Calzone New York Style Meatball Special £10.45 loaded with chunky beef and pork meatballs, beef bolognese, mozzarella and spicy pepperoni.  She had never had a calzone before and really enjoyed it, I must say it did look yummy. 



Of course desserts where in order as it was a Sunday I had my usual Profiteroles with ice cream and cream, it was presented beautifully and tasted very nice, I can definitely recommend it.  But my oh my do I wish I had ordered what David and Danielle ordered a delectable brownie smothered in chocolate sauce and served with cream and ice-cream.  I was allowed a tiny taste from David and it was pure heaven.





Overall Experience

The restaurant was buzzing and we sat near the kitchen and serving hatch which is open plan.  It was nice to see how professionally it was being run by the manager handling the pass.  The service was excellent and the food very tasty and enjoyable.  The only negative would be there prices, but I must say I would choose them over Frankie's & Bennies any day. Coast to Coast definitely gets a thumbs up from me and my family.


http://www.c2crestaurants.com/

Six Hills Way, Stevenage, SG1 2UA

Tel: 01438 318137


Coast to Coast on Urbanspoon

Rating Guide

5 Stars - Perfect
4.5 Stars - Exceptional
4 Stars - Excellent
3.5 Stars - Very good
3 Stars - Good
2.5 Stars - Average
2 Stars - Bad
1.5 Stars - Very bad
1 Star - Dire


Comments

Popular Posts